Thursday, September 8, 2011

Ridiculously Early Playoff Predictions: NFC Edition

 
[Image via]


Starting in Week 8, I want to make weekly playoff predictions leading up to the postseason. But I wanted to start off now by sharing some thoughts before the season even starts. Here I'll list my thoughts on who'll win each division, play in the championship games, and eventually the Super Bowl teams and winner. Granted, there might be some bias involved here, but I'll try to let reason win out.


Let's start with the NFC:


[Image via]


NFC East - Philadelphia Eagles


-This one may seem sort of obvious, and like I'm jumping on a bandwagon, but hear me out. Although I don't buy into the whole "dream team" label, the Eagles do seem to be the most talented team in the division, even though money and talent doesn't necessarily equal team chemistry and wins. Vick may not be as dominant as he was last year (coaches now have a full year of game tape to look at), and the offensive line definitely needs work, but the offense overall will still be explosive, and the defense will definitely be better than last year. I also don't see anyone else stepping up to beat them in the division. The Giants lost too many valuable components in free agency (not to mention their draft picks have been hit with the injury stick) to be a real threat, at least early on, and I don't see them making a big push late in the season to come out on top. Also, Eli Manning needs to get more consistent before I can even consider the Giants making a playoff run. The Cowboys will be better than last year (I possibly see them grabbing a wild card spot, although it's a long shot), but winning with a new coach and a new defensive scheme takes time. They lost the Nnamdi war to the Eagles, and too many valuable people to the cap (although dropping Roy Williams was probably the best decision they'll make all year). The Redskins are, well, the Redskins. The Grossman/Beck combo will not help their situation, and they'll be major competitors for the Andrew Luck sweepstakes. So, I see the Eagles coming out on top in the NFC East.




[Image via]


NFC North: Green Bay Packers


-Again, kinda obvious. The Super Bowl champs have several key player returning from IR, and even though they didn't do much in free agency or the draft, they didn't need to. Talent-wise, they're the best team in the division, and in my opinion, Mike McCarthy is the best coach in the North. I think they'll improve from last year's regular season record and clinch the division. That being said, this could be a good year for sleeper Detriot, who will build off of last year's late season winning streak to place second in the division (as long as Matthew Stafford can stay healthy-admit it, if you saw him in the preseason, he looked pretty good), and will claim one of the two wild-card slots. The addition of Roy Williams to the Bears' offense will not, in my opinion, really help their passing game, and although their run defense is still terrifying, I think they'll fall to the third in the division this year. And the Vikings...they just need time. Sidney Rice's loss will cripple their long ball chances, and Donovan McNabb, even though he will play better than last year, won't be enough to raise the Vikings to the playoffs in a tough division.




[Image via]


NFC South: New Orleans Saints


-This is a tough one. Right now, this could be my favorite division in the NFL. The Falcons are definitely a force to be reckoned with, especially with the additions of Julio Jones and Ray Edwards, and the Buccaneers are nothing to sneeze at either. They'll improve on their 10-6 record last season, but sadly, it won't be enough to get to the playoffs, again. The Panthers will improve slightly, as long as Cam Newton doesn't prove to be a bust; even though I'm not sold on him being a superstar (or even deserving of the number 1 pick in the draft), I think he'll be a solid improvement from Jimmy Clausen, as his mobility adds a whole new dimension to the offense. But this could definitely be the toughest division in the league, and the Panthers will repeat as the fourth place team in the South. I think it will come down to the Saints and Falcons, and with the improvements the Saints have made on both sides of the ball (upgrading the running game and the front four), they'll take the division, even if it only ends up being by 1 game. The Falcons will not be left out of the playoffs though - they'll get the other of the two wild card slots.


[Image via]


NFC West: St. Louis Rams


-Now, full disclosure here: I'm a huge Rams fan. But before you come after me claiming bullshit (well, maybe you should), hear me out. Sam Bradford is the most stable QB in the division. The only person who comes close after that is Kevin Kolb, who still needs time after the shortened offseason to learn the Arizona offense. Although the offense does lack a true number 1 receiver, adding Mike Sims-Walker during the offseason was definitely an upgrade, and Lance Kendricks looks to be the big, pass-catching tight end the Rams need. The new offensive scheme under Josh McDaniels will help Bradford stretch the field, and Steven Jackson now has some much needed help in the backfield to keep him fresh. Plus, the defense only continues to get better under Steve Spagnuolo's watch, and the upgrades at OLB will help tremendously. Arizona's improved QB situation will help them get to second in the division, but the loss of rookie Ryan Williams will be felt in the running game, and the defense still has a few key areas to improve on. I just can't see the 49ers winning the division with Alex Smith as the starting QB, even if Jim Harbaugh has improved the passing game with a few good WR additions (namely Braylon Edwards), and they lost several key offensive line and defensive members in free agency. The same goes for the Seahawks - as much as I like the additions of Zach Miller, Sidney Rice, and Robert Gallery, I just can't see them going forward and winning with either Tavaris Jackson or Charlie Whitehurst under center. I see the Rams winning what could be an (unfortunately) close division, and although it may not be much, an 8 or 9 win season will be enough to clinch the mediocre NFC West and go to the playoffs.






[Images via and via]


NFC Wild Cards: Atlanta Falcons, Detroit Lions




[Image via]


NFC Championship Game: Saints vs. Packers


-Yes, I see tomorrow's opener as a preview for this year's NFC championship game. I'm not going to worry about predicting playoff seeding, but I see the Super Bowl champions from the past two years battling it out for the NFC crown. It may not be the most explosive or exciting picks, but these teams will be too good this year not to make it this far. The Packers will continue to roll through the regular season after dominating the last six games of last year's season, and the Saints, after last year's embarrassing loss to the Seahawks, will be fighting to prove all year long that they're still an elite team. Realistically, I could see either team winning this game, and wouldn't be surprised if I turned out to be wrong about the winner, but I've got to go with my gut here. It'll be Brees vs. Rodgers, and even though I think the Packers will win tonight's matchup, the retooled New Orleans defense and running game will prove too much for the pass-happy Packers (yes, I know Ryan Grant is back, and Starks was great in the postseason, but the Rodgers-Jennings-Driver-Nelson-Jones-Finley combination is the Packers' real weapon) and their shaky offensive line, and the Saints will go to their second Super Bowl in three years. And yes, Michelle is going to kill me for making this pick.


NFC Champions: New Orleans Saints


My Super Bowl pick will come with my AFC predictions. Stay tuned!


-Lucas

No comments:

Post a Comment